Thursday 18 March 2010

Unbeaten

Tuesday began much more slowly than most days as I wasn't due into the Village for a full shift. So after my slow start, I set off for a long walk in Pacific Spirit Regional Park, which is near where I'm staying, and then out onto the coast road. I took in a nature trail and a brief visit to the Botanical Gardens on the way, before dropping down onto a beach. My plan to continue my walk around the headland on the beach was thwarted by large rocks and some uncertainty about tides, and so I had to climb back up the same 488 steps to the coast road (yes, I did count them!). I was later told that I could have got round the headland without fear of tides even though it can be a bit of a scramble in places - oh well..... It was good to spend time amongst the greenery of the forest listening to birds, frogs and all sorts of other noises, and also to sit on a bench on the beach simply staring out at the ocean, before heading back on the bus into the bustle of the city part of Vancouver.
I arrived at the Athletes' Village mid-afternoon, in time for a Bible study, prayer, and reflection time with the coordinator of the Multi-Faith Centres and other chaplains, followed later by some visiting around village and some admin.
In the evening there was a movie premier in 'The Living Room' as the athletes lounge here is called. This is a central venue where drinks are available (non-alcoholic as in all Olympic and Paralympic villages), plus all sorts of computer games, more active games like pool etc, and loads of spaces to chill out, play games, watch TV, listen to music, and just relax. Some of the chaplains spend time in here during the evenings when it is most used just hanging around, building relationships and talking with athletes. As I've done so many early shifts, I haven't been doing this, and so tonight was a chance to do just that as well as watch the movie.
The movie in question was "Unbeaten". This is a documentary film which follows a group of 31 athletes as they compete in what is said to be the world's longest and toughest wheelchair race - a gruelling 430 kilometres (268 miles) from Fairbanks to Anchorage in Alaska. They compete in either wheelchairs or arm-cycles, and are all people (male and female) who've been injured in shootings, falls and vehicle accidents. It is an amazing movie and very eye-opening. Watch it if you can, especially if you want to get a powerful insight into a world that many of us don't have direct personal experience of.

No comments:

Post a Comment