Tuesday 9 March 2010

First full shift

Sunday saw another bright day dawn but the weather was much cooler - and later on in the day there was a lot of rain. Locals said this would probably fall as snow in the mountains, which would no doubt be appreciated by local skiers and snow-boarders alike. Thinking of the Paralympics, there are no snow-boarding events in the programme (as yet), but there are a variety of alpine and nordic skiing events.
Although my shift wasn't due to start until 11am, I left my hosts relatively early so that I could be sure of the transport getting me there on time. I have to get a bus, then the subway (underground train), followed by a 10-15 minute walk in order to get to the Village. It was about an hour's journey altogether, as the public transport worked well together.
This shift began with me spending some time chatting and getting to know the American chaplain who'd been on duty since 8am. I then manned the Multi-Faith Centre whilst he went out visiting in the Village and had lunch - we had no administrator on duty until early afternoon and it's important that there's someone in the Centre at all times it's open, so that they're there to respond if anyone calls in or telephones. The third chaplain came on duty at 2pm, and the 3 of us spent time sharing updates about the concerns and happenings of the day so far, and praying together.
Afterwards, I visited the Polyclinic within the Village. This is a small and compact 'hospital' but one with full facilities including emergency room, MRI and CAT scanner, X-ray and ultrasound imaging, pharmacy, physical therapy department, and various specialities including ENT, dentistry, ophthalmology and orthopaedics to name but a few. The Polyclinic is also host to the anti-doping facilities. One thing it doesn't have is beds - if athletes need overnight care they are transferred to a local hospital. I was told that the Polyclinic in Whistler also has a fully-equipped operating theatre as local hospitals are further away from there. (Apparently this is in a tent-like building similar to those used by the military in places such as Afghanistan.) I was given a guided tour of the Polyclinic, and will visit it once a day whilst on shift, and have a similar role there to a hospital chaplain at home.
Towards the end of my shift, it began to feel strange to have had a Sunday without either going to church, or leading/attending a service in the Village. An internet search revealed one Anglican church with an evening service at 6:30. So, at the end of my shift at 6pm, the Roman Catholic priest who'd come into the Village to lead Mass was kind enough to give me a lift to the church, which thankfully wasn't too far from a bus route to get me back to my hosts afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment