Thursday 13 August 2009

Arrived safely - straight to work

Arrived safely yesterday, although a delayed flight meant there was hardly time to draw breath before things needed doing. Transport from the airport was smooth, albeit via the house where a colleague is staying. On arrival at the official athletes' hotel where I'm staying, security meant I couldn't check-in without first going to accreditation. That was very slick although I don't think I look like my photo at all! Quickly checked in but didn't make it to the room before being whisked off to eat as the canteen was about to close. This was quickly followed by an orientation meeting for the 6 chaplains who'd arrived in the last 24 hours - from Germany, UK, USA and Portugal. Was just off to find my room when an athlete called into the Oasis of Silence asking how he could find a mosque and/or an imam. Thankfully, with my bit of German and the hotel receptionist's bit of English, we managed to find one, although once again I was reminded how context-specific vocabulary is - not knowing the German for mosque, I described what I was looking for and the receptionist said "ah, a church for Muslims!". I'm not sure all would agree with that term but maybe it says more positive things about interfaith relationships than we might imagine! Only after leaving a message with the required information for said athlete was I able to try to find my room.......

No comments:

Post a Comment